History of the Barton Creek Greenbelt

Barton Creek greenbelt trailhead

Entrance to Barton Creek greenbelt at Barton Springs

Barton Springs was a popular destination long before the arrival of settlers from the east. The springs and creek get their name from William Barton who built a house nearby in 1837. The pool was built in the 1930’s.

As the city grew, developments in hill country upstream began to cause problems for the springs, and resulted in a series of ordinances in 1980, 1986, and 1992 that restricted development in the sensitive recharge zone.

Today the Barton Creek Greenbelt and Barton Creek Wilderness area consist of about 1800 acres urban parkland. Farther upstream is a 4100 acre wilderness tract protected by the Nature Conservancy.

Click here for a map of the park.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply